FAMU CPCWD serves as a resource to other community based technology centers with the goal of increasing broadband services to the community.
Judge Lucy Koh has denied Apple's renewed request for a permanent ban of 23 Samsung smartphones and tablets.Apple has lost the latest round in the ongoing patent war with archrival Samsung.
In the long-running feud between the two companies, Apple had filed a renewed request to permanently ban 23 Samsung devices found to have infringed on its patents. But early Thursday, Judge Lucy Koh denied Apple's request, ruling that the iPhone maker "has not established that it is entitled to the permanent injunction it seeks," according to a court document.
Still, all is not rosy for Samsung. Koh also upheld the $290 million in additional damages awarded to Apple by a jury last November. At the time, Samsung had argued that it owed Apple only $52 million more in damages on top of the $640 million upheld by Koh from the original $1.05 billion judgment in 2012.But add $290 million and $640 million, and Samsung will have to shell out $930 million to Apple -- not too far off from that original $1.05 billion total. That's assuming the current damage amount stands.
Apple can appeal the decision, but Samsung can also appeal the "underlying liability issues," according to Foss Patents' Florian Mueller. After denying Apple's request, Koh said that either company could appeal any parts of the final judgment, Mueller added.
While they mull over the decision to appeal, the two combatants are headed back to the courtroom this month to argue over a different set of allegedly infringing devices. Apple CEO Tim Cook and Samsung mobile chief Shin Jong-Kyun met last month to try to hammer out their differences. But the two failed to find a peaceful settlement, setting the stage for the next round in the seemingly never-ending patent war.
The service known for hosting millions of Web sites is the victim of a cyber attack that knocked out connections for domains around the world.The Web-hosting service Namecheap was hit with what it says was one the largest distributed-denial-of-service attacks "anyone has seen or dealt with."
On Thursday morning roughly 300 domain names hosted by Namecheap were targeted in a DDoS attack -- a common hacker tactic that causes sites or servers to be bombarded with illegitimate traffic. The massive attack likely caused wide-spread connectivity issues among the hundreds of thousands of other domain names using Namecheap's DNS platform.
"Today is one of the days that, as a service provider who strives to deliver excellence day in and day out, you wish you never had," Namecheap CEO Richard Kirkendall and Vice President Matt Russell wrote in a company blog post.
Kirkendall and Russell said they're constantly battling DDoS attacks and almost always can keep them at bay. However, Thursday's attack was too massive to contain.
"The sheer size of the attack overwhelmed many of our DNS servers, resulting in inaccessibility and sluggish performance," Kirkendall and Russell wrote. "Our initial estimates show the attack size to be over 100Gbps, making this one of the largest attacks anyone has seen or dealt with. And this is a new type of attack, one that we and our hardware and network partners had not encountered before."
Just last week, a record-breaking DDoS attack against a CloudFlare customer was reported. At its peak, this attack reached more than 400Gbps, which is 33 percent greater than the previous record-holding attack against Spamhaus last year.Namecheap rose in popularity in 2011 when it promoted a "move your domain" day in protest of its rival GoDaddy supporting the US government's SOPA copyright bill. In the face of the protests, GoDaddy withdrew its support for the bill.
In 2009, GoDaddy itself was the victim of a DDoS attack. During this hack, several thousand Web sites went dark for several hours. Blog hosting service WordPress has also been hit with DDoS attacks. In 2011, the service experienced a massive attack that brought connectivity issues to millions of blogs.
As for Namecheap, Kirkendall and Russell said the attack is now under control and 99 percent of their servers are back to normal. No individual or group has yet claimed responsibility for Thursday's attack.
The retailer accelerates its $100 million program to offer users chip-enabled "smart credit cards" that encrypt users' personal data and are said to be harder to hack.Target is still reeling from the massive security breach, which affected as many as 110 million customers. Now, as the retailer gets back on its feet, it's becoming more security focused.
Target Chief Financial Officer John Mulligan wrote an opinion piece for The Hill on Monday saying that the company was speeding up its implementation of high-security credit cards.
The credit cards come embedded with a tiny microprocessor chip, which is said to beef up security and make it more difficult for cybercriminals to access user data. Target had already begun work on the cards before the hack, but it is now accelerating this $100 million program. Mulligan said that the technology should be ready for customers on Target's REDcards by early 2015, which is six months before the scheduled release.
"For consumers, this technology differs in important ways from what is widely used in the United States today. The standard credit and debit cards we use now have a magnetic stripe containing the customer's information. When first introduced, that stripe was an innovation. But in today's world, more is needed," Mulligan wrote. "The latest 'smart cards' have tiny microprocessor chips that encrypt the personal data shared with the sales terminals used by merchants. Why is such a change important? Even if a thief manages to steal a smart card number, it's useless without the chip."While chip-enabled smart cards are already in use in the UK and Canada, the US has been slow to grab a hold of the technology. Mulligan wrote that in the UK credit card fraud has fallen 67 percent since 2004 and in Canada losses decreased by 72 percent between 2008 and 2012. Even though these numbers sound promising, some security experts have questioned how foolproof these encryption methods are -- saying hackers could devise new ways to steal users' information.
The security breach that hit Target was first identified in December and resulted in the theft of names, mailing addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and debit and credit card data of people who shopped at the retailer between November 27 and December 15. In an effort to support affected customers, the company offered one year of free credit monitoring from Experian, which is valued at $191.
Target is keen on having other businesses also adopt the use of chip-enabled smart cards. In his opinion piece, Mulligan said that companies must work together to fight credit card fraud.
"If we truly want to prevent this from happening again, the business community must move together. No one company or industry can solve this challenge on its own," he wrote. "Strengthening consumer protection requires a coordinated response.This is a shared responsibility."
We have 9 guests and no members online
Mr. Adams is the Director of Center for Public Computing & Workforce Development.
Center for Public Computing & Workforce Development is open to Tallahassee Communities and surrounding areas. Below are a few steps on how to register to the Center.
1.) As a client you need to do center registration survey. Which is found on our website Click this link to get started.
2.) Talk with the Center Staff and request a username and password.
3.) You are all done now sign into any available computer and use freely.
The new hours for the Center for Public Computing & Workforce Development facility are dedicated to help our clients.
Monday-Friday 7:00 AM-10:00 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM-10:00 PM
Sunday 2:00 PM-10:00 PM